Sunday, November 11, 2007

Cast and Credits

There are probably five or six people who are "main characters" in the story of my life right now. They all either go to school with me, live in or next door to my house, or both. As you may have guessed, Jacob is one of them. I'm sure I will introduce the rest of them within the next few posts, as there is very little which goes on in my life which makes sense without knowing the context of who and what they are.

Sometimes I question the healthiness of this situation. I feel a little like I'm living in a commune cut off from the rest of the world. My relationships are all a bit ingrown, and it shows in different ways with each person. But it's the way things are for now, and there's not much I can do about it before I graduate or my lease runs out. Fortunately, both of those things will happen at the end f this spring.

I'm a little bit terrified of that time, though. I have grown very used to my surroundings here, my home and my friends. Part of me is afraid that I'm just not appreciating it now because it's all so familiar, and that as soon as I leave I'll wish I hadn't. This is probably true, but in some ways it's also another good reason to leave. Right now, it's like I've gotten sick of ice cream from eating it every day. Better never to eat it again and at least remember enjoying it, than to make yourself hate something you once loved.

I kind of wish I could just leave now. Having come to the decision that I can't stay, I want to act on it.* And an opportunity may be presenting itself in the near future which will at least get me halfway.

You see, my friend Zoe** lives a several blocks away from my house. She has a roommate who has mentioned wanting to live at my house for various reasons (one of them, I'm pretty sure, being that she doesn't get along terribly well with Zoe). Zoe suggested that perhaps the two of us could switch places; it wouldn't solve any of my problems, but it would definitely make some of them better. And Zoe and I tend to be a good influence on each other, which is a major plus.

Of course, this would require a lot of work. I'd have to pack up everything and move (granted, I don't own all that much and it's not that far, but still). I've always had a single room before, so getting used to having a roommate may provide unforeseen difficulties. And I don't necessarily get on all that well with all of Zoe's other housemates (including her roommate, she lives with four other girls), but then I don't get along with everyone here, either. Zoe's current roommate also has to decide for sure that she wants to switch, and we have to talk to my house manager.

All in all, it's a bit scary and still up in the air, but I really want to do it. It may also make things easier when I finally am not tied down by school and whatnot, and can really get out of here.

*Yes, I'm aware I couldn't really stay after my lease runs out and I graduate, anyway, but one can still try to work around such things. I had to decide whether I would put energy into such a futile pursuit.

**Also one of the cast of main characters.

No comments: